Registration - New and Returning Students

Preregistration is held for returning degree seeking undergraduate students is held in November for the spring semester, February for the summer session and in March for the fall semester. Prior to registration and depending on the student’s program, a Registration Access Code (RAC Code) or Alternate Pin is required and obtained from the student’s primary advisor. Students are required to resolve all holds placed on their student account before they can register for classes.

Students enrolled in full time programs and who are seeking registration into a part-time program course require the approval of department which offers the course.

Freshmen full-time students and all students on academic warning , probation or continued probation are required to meet with their primary advisor prior to registration to obtain a Registration Access Code(RAC) or Alternate Pin. For course registration that requires permission to register, students should contact the academic department offering the course prior to the schedule date to register.

Registration for newly accepted students occurs during the summer prior to the student’s matriculation in the fall semester. Students register for their courses during New Student Orientation. Incoming transfer students are registered by the associate dean of their program and the registrar prior to their arrival. New transfer student schedules are developed based upon awarded transfer credit to best fulfill their curricular requirements.

Registration for continuing students occurs for each of the three academic semesters. Prior to each registration period, course listings, specific registration dates and times, registration instructions as well as up to date information regarding course openings and prerequisites are available online through the LeopardWeb student portal. Responsibility for course selection and fulfillment of graduation requirements ultimately rests with the student.

Colleges of the Fenway Cross Registration

Wentworth is a member of the Colleges of the Fenway (COF), an association of four Fenway-area institutions whose other members are Emmanuel College, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, and Simmons College.

Students interested in cross-registering for a course through the COF must complete a COF cross-registration form in the Student Service Center. Full-time matriculated students may cross-register for up to two COF courses in each semester, beginning in the second semester of their Freshman year. Course offerings and other information are published online.

Students who cross-register must follow the academic policies and procedures of the host institution for that course. This includes the host institution’s academic honesty policy and adherence to their academic calendar. Discipline issues will be addressed by the student’s home institution.

Grades received in cross-registered COF courses will be computed in the cumulative grade point average in accordance with the Wentworth grading system. Pass ("P") grades are not accepted at Wentworth. Students may not be allowed to register for courses that are graded on a Pass/Fail basis.

To ensure that the COF course will satisfy a degree requirement, prior to enrolling in a course student must complete two forms:  

If the COF course is to satisfy a major requirement it must be  approved by the associate dean of the students major; if satisfying a  requirement to be applied towards  the 28 credit minimum for  Humanities and Social Science, the Course Substitution form requires the approval from the associate dean from the School of Sciences and Humanities. 

Class Standing

Class standing for undergraduate students is determined by the number of earned credit hours. It does not include credit hours for courses in progress or the number of semesters a student has attended the University.


Class Year Earned Credit Hours
Freshman 0-31
Sophomore 32-63
Junior 64-95
Senior 96-139
Fifth Year 140+

Undergraduate Part-time Programs

Class Year Earned Credit Hours
First Year 0-29
Second Year 30-49
Third Year 50-73
Fourth Year 74-93
Fifth Year 94-113
Sixth Year 114+

Registration Cancellation for Non-Payment

Students who do not have their accounts paid in full by the tuition due date, complete required financial aid paperwork, or have not made payment arrangements with Student Financial Services/Billing, class registration and/or housing assignment may be canceled for non-payment.

If a student’s class registration and/or housing assignment is canceled for non-payment, the student may re-register for classes prior to add/drop, depending on class availability and provided appropriate payment arrangements are made.

If a student’s housing assignment is canceled, there is no guarantee that the student will receive on-campus housing.

Approved methods to settle the bill:

  • Payment in full OR
  • Approved financial aid and all requirements complete OR
  • Approved payment plan

Course Load

Full-time undergraduate students must carry a course load of at least 12 credit hours. Failure to carry the minimum number of credit hours may jeopardize housing, financial aid status, athletic eligibility, and health insurance.

  • International students must be full-time (at least 12 credit hours) to maintain valid F-1 Student Visa status.
  • COOP3500 and  COOP4500 are considered full-time.
    • COOP4699 is considered less than full time enrollment status.
    • Optional Co-op's COOP3000 and COOP5000 are considered as not enrolled and will impact  financial aid enrollment status. Students are urged to speak with their Financial Aid Advisor.

  • A full-time student may not schedule an overload of courses without the approval of the associate dean of their program on a Credit Overload Form. An overload is any number of semester credit hours more than 20. No more than 24 credits or a total of six courses will be allowed. A student will be assessed a per-credit tuition charge for each credit exceeding 20 credits in addition to the full-time tuition charge for that semester; payment for credit overloads is due at the time of registration. Refer to the tuition and fees portion of the catalog for more information.

Course Changes and Withdrawals

Students can make schedule changes during the first week of the fall, spring, and summer semesters. Students should consult the Academic Calendar for part of term course change dates.

Students who withdraw from a course after the end of the drop/add period and before the published deadline for the last day to withdraw will receive a "W" recorded in the grade column of their academic transcript.  Student who choose to withdraw from a course after the deadline will receive a final grade of  'F'. To withdraw from a course after the drop/add period, students must complete the Course Withdrawal form, which includes the signatures of their instructor and primary advisor, and submit it to the Registrar  at no later than the deadline published in the Academic Calendar. Under extenuating circumstances, the associate dean's signature may be substituted for the primary advisor’s signature. Students will not be permitted to withdraw from courses after the published deadline; non-attendance does not constitute withdrawal from a course.

Students enrolled for less than 12 credit hours may impact a student’s financial aid package, housing, and may extend a student’s graduation date. International students who wish to withdraw from a course are required to obtain the written permission of the Director of International Student Services in the Student Service Center; International students must be full-time to maintain valid F-1 Student Visa status.

Time conflicts of courses are not normally permitted. Students whose courses conflict should meet with the the associate dean of their program to develop an appropriate alternative schedule and a curriculum plan. Under exceptional circumstances, students may register for courses with otherwise unsolvable time conflicts by obtaining the Time Conflict Override form. Overrides are processed by the Academic Coordinator.

Transfer Credit after Matriculation

To receive credit for courses taken at another accredited institution, degree-seeking undergraduate students must obtain approval in advance. Failure to obtain this approval could result in denial of the course credit.

The Transfer Credit Pre-Approval Form is available on the registrar’s website. Requests for approval of a course from another institution should be accompanied by the course description or corresponding syllabus from that institutions catalog or academic department. Approval must be obtained prior to registering for the course at the other institution. It is the students’ responsibility to have official transcripts sent directly by the institution to the Registrar at upon completion of the course. 

A student who fails a course at Wentworth may choose to complete the course at another institution and must follow the pre-approval process.  If the course is completed at another institution with a grade of C or higher, the transfer grade of TR satisfies the course requirement, but does not eliminate the initial F from the student’s GPA. 

Note: a minimum grade of "C" is required for credit transfer. Grades for courses taken at an institution other than Wentworth are not used in computing the student’s GPA. No academic credit is awarded for Internship/co-op, Practicum, Directed Research, Preparatory, or remedial course work or for courses with grades of "P" or "S". Grades for coursework completed at another institution are not recorded on the student’s official transcript, transfer credit is assigned a grade of "TR".

Incoming Freshman or New Transfer students wishing to transfer credits to Wentworth must submit an official transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions before the University can evaluate and award credit. Students who have attended regionally accredited institutions can expect to receive credit for successfully completed courses (bearing a grade of "C" or higher) that are comparable in depth and content to those offered at Wentworth. In some cases, courses will transfer as elective credit and those credits will count towards the overall hours required for graduation, but not satisfy program requirements.